It is that time of year again. Tick season is upon us, and the warmer it gets, the more of an issue it seems to become. We are seeing more ticks in the field by the day. As most of you are aware, these pests can carry diseases that it can then pass off on to you or your pets if removed improperly. Simply Green Lawn Care, in the Atlanta Georgia area, wants you to be prepared this season with some knowledge on effective tick removal.
Tick Removal and Care, Step by Step
According to WebMD, the most efficient method of tick removal is by using a pair of fine-tipped tweezers (do not grab tick with your bare hands).
- First, grab the tick as close to its mouth (the part that is stuck in your skin) as you can. The body of the tick will be above your skin.
- Do not grab the tick around its swollen belly. You could push infected fluid from the tick into your body if you squeeze it.
- Gently pull the tick straight out until its mouth lets go of your skin. Do not twist the tick. This may break off the tick’s body and leave the head in your skin.
- Put the tick in a dry jar or ziplock bag and save it in the freezer for later identification if needed.
- After the tick has been removed, wash the area of the tick bite with a lot of warm water and soap. A mild dishwashing soap, such as Ivory, works well. Be sure to wash your hands well with soap and water also.
What does your lawn need? Contact us for all of your landscaping needs, we have you covered!