It’s March and you know what that means? Winter Pruning! If you are getting spring fever like many of us and are ready for spring to get here already, it’s time to make sure you have your lawn and garden prepared for spring! If you start pruning now it will promote faster regrowth in the spring. Many plants are dormant during the chilly months so it makes pruning easier because you can see the shape of the plant with the foliage gone.
Here are a few pruning tips from the Simply Green team:
- Prune on a dry day, makes it easier to cut the branches.
- When pruning, start by pruning out dead and diseased branches.
- After pruning dead branches, remove the overgrown and smaller branches to increase light and air to the base of the plant.
- Your goal is to keep the branches that develop or maintain the structure of the tree.
- Cut branches at the node, the point at which one branch or twig attaches to another.